Toast

Monday 28 May 2007

Is it possible for something to be hot and cold at the same time?

Many would answer “no. Hot is hot, and cold is cold, and it cannot be in between.” However, I disagree.

The top, right hand side of my toast is always black…charred…burnt beyond recognition. The middle bit is perfectly toasted. The bottom outer edges are always pale and doughy. My toast would never win a prize in the annual toast making contest…it wouldn’t even get a look-in. But I have accepted that I can’t expect miracles from the implements I own. I will never achieve perfection.

So yes…things can be hot and cold at the same time.

And you can love and hate someone at the same time, too. Or at least I can...

I, in a matter of hours…sometimes even minutes…can go from having a very real desire to plunge a knife into my husband’s chest, to having a desire to renew our wedding vows. There are times I have wanted to do both at once.

(What a thought? Looking into his eyes and saying “till death us do part, and then quite casually, slitting his throat?)

When I burn my toast, I still eat it. Ok, occasionally I may throw the top corner away, but it doesn’t ruin the rest of the toast. I still enjoy what’s left. It’s still edible. It’s still enjoyable. There are still places where the butter seeps through. And each new day is a challenge, not knowing what I’m gonna get.

And anyway. When you scrape the burnt bits into the bin enough times, it just becomes a part of the routine.

Labels:

 
Bitter & Twisted 7:26 am, |

1 Comments:

  At 29 May 2007 at 08:23 Anonymous Anonymous said:
Good analogy!